What’s the membership fee all about? We love transparency, so let’s chat. While there are many awesome free or cheap running teams, they don’t have what Arete includes. Arete was created because we saw a missing piece in the running community– a piece we craved for with structure, discounts, solid training plans, and more. Arete is a for-profit business. Like any transactions, this is what you get when you sign up for Arete:
- Access to several training plans from the 5k to the ultra distance on Final Surge for multiple races and general training plans. Some people pay as much as a membership or the same per month for coaching. So this alone pays for the membership. I put in dozens of hours to create these training plans, and they are made just for Arete. It’s a killer deal for great workouts (many people by $150 + a month just for coaching)
- Team meet-ups. It can be confusing because it seems like workouts, Saturday runs, launches, free summer events and free clinics, and race meet-ups just happen. But with the feedback from leaders, I organize these events and meet-ups and then create the calendars for every chapter. I think these are the “behind the scenes” things that take time and energy that often seems effortless
- Access to several discount codes. I work to build partnerships along with your leaders and with various brands so our team can get good deals on various products and races.
- Uniforms every other year. We order a custom color fabric from rabbit and buy enough yards to fill the team. We get new tops every two years. This year we get nice track bags with membership (made by Aruna Project– a business that supports women in India that have escape sexual slavery, check out their site pretty amazing business model). We work hard to find partnerships like these and believe in quality and good ethics.
- Website administration (building, updates, paying web designer, etc.)
- Customer service. Like all great businesses, we believe in great customer service. I spend many hours supporting the team through email, forums, and in person.
- Inspiration/ team/community. The highest rated item on “why you joined Arete” on the survey was “community.” Many people are stoked to pay $15-20/month (about the cost of the membership broken down over 9 months) for the inspiration the team provides through its leaders and teammates.
It is our promise is to provide these services and experiences.